Saturday, April 25, 2009

Overused headline puns

It doesn't matter how many games the Blackhawks have played, and it doesn't matter if they won or lost; depending on the team, the headline is almost always the same.

And I'm sick of it. Who allows this? Seriously.

Here are some right off the top of my head, in no particular order.

1.Calgary: "Hawks douse the Flames." Or "Hawks burned by Calgary."

2.St. Louis: "Hawks have St. Louis singing the Blues." Or "Hawks singing the Blues."

3.New Jersey: "Hawks bedevil New Jersey." Or "New Jersey bedevils Chicago."

Game 5 is starting in a few minutes and I need to get going. But as I was watching the pregame, sure enough, the key for the Blackhawks was, "They need to douse the Flames' defense." Wow, clever.

(sidenote: How in the hell do you "douse," a defense? Play better offensively? Score more goals? Someone enlighten me.)

I'm sure there are more that I just can't think of right now. Against Nashville (the Predators), it's usually something about one of the teams being "prey." Against Detroit, you'll usually see a pun about wheels or wings, or taking flight, or sometimes both.

What are some other overused sports puns?

1 comment:

  1. "Red Sox play Yankees"

    Not a pun, just overused. A lot.

    ReplyDelete