Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Trade Deadline @ 3 p.m. tomorrow

3 p.m. tomorrow is the NHL trade deadline. Rosters will be set and the final push for the playoffs will begin.

In late January, prior to a stretch of eight straight road games, Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon said that his decision to make roster moves would be based on the success of the road trip.

The "stretch" had the Blackhawks playing on the road in 13 of 15 games, going 10-5 in that span. So now the question becomes...do they make a move?

Names that have been thrown out there are Stanley Cup winning (injured now) goalie Nikolai Khabibulin, experienced winger Martin Havlat, and I've heard Dustin Byfuglien as well.

Tallon has said before that if he makes a move, it will not be for a costly "rental player." He is focused on the long-term success of the franchise. And I, as a fan who has witnessed chronic mediocrity and dissapointing season after dissapointing season, am fine with this decision.

This youthful bunch is a solid foundation for what could be a dynasty in years to come.

Still though, I crave postseason hockey for the Blackhawks (this is all but a given now), and even then, I still want to see a nice run at the Cup. I know I know I'm getting greedy, but once the ectasty of success hit my lips, I couldn't get enough.

I'm pretty excited to see what happens tomorrow. Will the Blackhawks make a move and fill the need for an above average center? Will they trade the "Bulin Wall?" (I'd be fine with Huet in the playoffs, the man has been on fire lately).

Also, check out #5 in Burnside's "five things" blog from ESPN.com to get an idea of what happens in the league offices on trade-deadline day to make sure everything is on the up and up?

No comments:

Post a Comment