Friday, February 13, 2009

Teams I hate.

The Blackhawks take on the St.Louis Blues tonight. This is a classic rivalry that dates back many a year. It seems as though every game has playoff intensity. The scores are close, the games are brutal physically, and fights almost always happen.

There is a certain level of stress for a fan that comes with watching games against rivals. It starts even before the game begins, and only intensifies as the game is going on. You hate losing to them, and you love beating them (and not just beat them, embarrass them).

So with less than an hour away from the first puck dropping, I can feel that anxiousness, stress, and excitement setting in. To help pass the time, I figured I'd write a post about the teams I can't stand.

This one is a given as a Cubs fan. This is the team I can't stand more than any other. My grandpa hated the Cardinals with a fiery passion, and that part of the Patchett DNA has made its way to my Dad and my Uncle, my older brother, and me. I hope one day, I can pass it on to my kids.



When I moved to Madison at 10 years of age, I was already a diehard Hawkeye fan (again, it was in the genes). Growing up in the heart of BADger country as a Hawkeye was no easy task. The fans are douche bags, their teams suck for the most part, and I can't stand them.


Oh boy, what to say about this team. Every game against them probably takes a couple days off of my life span. The Detwat Deadthings (yes, I call them that) rank up there with the Cardinals in the "things I hate the most" category. Finally, the rivalry is getting back to what it used to be with the Red Wings now that Chicago is competitive. Hopefully, their reign at the top of the Central Division is over.

As for the Blues, the fact that they're from St.Louis already gives them multiple minus points in my book. Other than that, I've just grown up disliking the Blues, it's natural for Blackhawk fans.









*This is an honorable mention for the White Sox, the Brewers, and their fans. Yes, I know all about the Windy City rivalry, and yes, I know Brewers fans are mad that Miller Park is really just "Wrigley North." But those teams and those fans need to understand that the rivalry with the Cubs really isn't that intense. You guys just have massive inferiority complexes (remeber Ozzie's little rant last season? He practically cried.) Yeah I said it, and it's true. Ask around, talk to some Cub fans. We don't like those teams very much, but do you bring about the same emotion and atmosphere as the Cardinals? No.
The rivalry with the Sox is just a given because of proximity, as for the Brewers, the rivalry is getting there. If they stay competitive, then it could definitely develop into something special.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, your hated teams are practically the same as mine would be (except the NHL teams). I would agree in saying that Sox fans hate the Cubs more than the Cubs hate the sox.

    I've never really liked the Badgers, but I wouldn't say they are amongst my most hated teams. I can see why you do though, growing up in Badger country (must have been rough). But yeah I'd go with the Cyclowns > Wisky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the Red Wings! What I dislike the most is that there are so many fans that attend the games against the Hawks at the United Center...get them out of there! They wear those obnoxious Detroit jerseys on our turf; go back to Michigan!

    ReplyDelete